Monday, March 1, 2010

muffins! hooray!

Last night, after a weekend of storing other people's food in our fridge and letting other people shower in our shower, I was doing my painting homework, all spread out on our tiny kitchen counter painting the dishes in the dish drainer. The whole apartment had that lovely, oil-painty smell, and then Ransom and I decided to make dinner- rice and curry. So the place filled with perhaps my two very favorite smells and I got to paint and cook almost simultaneously- it was lovely. But it made me remember a recipe that I meant to share with you all. It's a muffin recipe, and it's extremely plain but very tasty, and the nicest thing about it is that you can add whatever you want. They're not vegan but they easily could be. So here you go. Something to make when the power returns. Or now.

Basic Complementary Muffins

1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 coup soy flour (or you can substitute another 1 2/3 cups wheat flour if you don't have soy, which I didn't)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
1-4 tbsp oil
1-4 tbsp honey
Anything else you feel like adding!

Mix the dry ingredients together first. In a separate bowl, beat the egg with mild, oil, and honey. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour the liquid in all at once; stir just enough to moisten all of the ingredients, but don't worry about a few lumps. Fill oiled muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, until well browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment